Monday, September 8, 2014

Monday, 8/25/14 - Sunday, 9/7/14

Monday
·         How did someone help me?
Today Brother Blackburn took us up to the South Alabama campus to go biking through the forest on some trails. It was really fun! Pretty challenging curves on that trail but it was sweet and it helped me relax.
·         What did I learn?
I read a great talk by Boyd K. Packer called “Strengthening the Less-Active”. It is a great talk. I learned that it is so important to allow people who don’t normally get to do things (like pray in church or speak/teach in church) to participate.
·         How did I help others today?
I think we helped the Blackburn’s desire to continue to want to do missionary work and invite people to meet with us. We ate over there for dinner and had a good talk after.

Tuesday
·         How did I help others today?
Met a black guy and shared the Book of Mormon. He didn’t let us come back. Went over to see Brother Speed and had a quick lesson about church. He said he has been thinking about coming.
·         What did I learn?
I learned that you make a greater impact than you would think in areas. We drove to half mission, which is tomorrow, and ate in Pensacola, so we were able to see the Schewes’s and Brook’s from the Fox Run Ward. Then in Crestview, because we slept there, the Burbidge’s came so I was able to see them and catch up a bit. They are as cool as ever! Those kids crack me up! It was really awesome to get to talk with all 3 of those families. To top it off, I got to see Sister Boyd, the Blum’s and Peterson’s at the Multi-Stake Ward Council Conference. Brother Peterson also called Andy for me so I talked with him for a bit. It was great! Made my week.

Wednesday
·         How did I help others today?
Had Half Mission with Elder Zwick. It was great. We didn’t have much, actually we had zero proselyting time. The one way I helped others was by helping take down chairs and tables after.
·         What did I learn?
The main thing I learned was to get back to basics because that will lift my spirituality more than anything. I think that will take away my discouragement also.
·         How did someone help me?
The coolest thing today was Elder Lovell, not the one I was companions with but the Spanish speaking one. Anyway he came up to me and thanked me for leaving the Fort Walton Beach Zone the way I did. He told me he had heard great things and that was awesome.

Thursday
·         How did I help others today?
Taught Brother Smart about the temple interview questions. Just the first 2 today. I think the lesson really strengthened him. He needed his air conditioner fixed/unclogged so we went back to try and do that.
·         What did I learn?
I need to have better prayers.
·         How did someone help me?
My companion, Elder Bochenek, told me that I don’t seem trunky. Elder Payne told me I was very patient.

Friday
·         How did I help others today?
Today we tracted a lot but talked to no one. Went to see an HQ referral but she wasn’t there. Then we met Akil and his mom Sandy. They took a Book of Mormon and are going to let us come by again.
·         What did I learn?
I can, and need to, follow the impressions that I receive from the Spirit a lot better than I do. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it’s my thought or the spirit.

Saturday 
Well today was crazy! Cleaned the church and then had studies. That wasn’t the crazy part though. President called and asked if I would go to Cairo for the last few weeks because they had an emergency transfer. President told me I would leave Tuesday, then later the assistants called and told me to be at the Stake Center at 6 tonight. Then the Mobile North Zone Leaders told me to be there at 4:30 today. So I freaked out. Packed then we got blizzards on our way to the stake center. Met the zone leaders and Elder Bott then we headed to Pensacola to meet the assistants, Elder McPherson and Elder Welch. It was a fun car ride home. Total trip took about 5 hours. I stayed with the assistants tonight and then will go to Cairo tomorrow.

Sunday 
Today I went to church with the assistants and saw and talked with the Liebenhaut’s that used to be in the Tally 4th Ward but now they are in the 3rd Ward. It was good to get to talk for a bit because I liked that ward. We also went to the 5th Ward and I saw the Tucker’s that I used to teach. I was hoping to see more but didn’t get to. That’s okay though! Then we eventually made our way to Cairo (pronounced Kay-Row). Met Elder Winterton and I got settled in just in time to plan. Elder Winterton seems like a good guy.

Monday
Today we went to the Bouten’s so we could email. We were there for quite some time. Helped her with a couple puzzles while waiting to email and eat. Then later that night we had “dinner” with Sister Scoggins. She fed us cookies. We shared a message with her and she told us the church wasn’t true. I guess she was off her meds and she doesn’t believe in the church when she doesn’t take her medication. Then we gave Sister Newman’s mom a blessing and shared a message with Sister Newman. We had to use a different video but it was meant to be because Sister Newman loved it. Good day that we had today! Happy Birthday to Todd today!

Tuesday
Today is my brother Zach’s birthday! Wooo!
·         How did I help others today?
Today we taught Jarvis and Jamarius about the atonement a bit. They are 11 and 10 and they have tons of energy! We threw the football around for a little bit with them. Great little kids! Jamarius also taught us all about the solar system. We also taught Keith about church, reading and prayer. He is less-active but he is a great guy. Just needs some love.

Wednesday
·         How did I help others today?
Today we did some service for the museum here in Cairo. We vacuumed, dusted and also moved a few things into the attic and put some other things out.
·         What did I learn?
I learned that Soloman wrote many great proverbs but that he was not called by God as a prophet.

Thursday 
·         How did I help others?
Today we had a great time at the Crosby’s (less-actives) and a great lesson. Brother Walker came with us and he is a funny old guy. I really like him. We shared with them how the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion and why that is important. I think that it really helped Abrey. Brother Walker is also a great friend/fellowshipper.
·         What did I learn?
I learned that my mission has really helped me to be slow to anger. I didn’t even realize it until today. I am very grateful for that. You really do learn so much in the mission field.
·         How did someone help me?
The Bouten’s came out with us and gave us a ride. The appointment fell through but it was awesome they did that for us.

Friday 
·         How did I help others today?
Today was a good day. A little different than most days. The Bouten’s invited our investigator, Virginia, over to make jelly and have dinner. Virginia almost cancelled so we ran over (drove over actually) and had her talk to Sister Bouten on the phone. That saved the day! So we had a great time there at the Bouten’s and so did Virginia.
·         What did I learn?
It is so easy to help someone feel love. It makes such a huge difference for those who are learning about the church. Virginia was so happy as she spent time with the Bouten’s. All the Bouten’s did was share jelly making and then the gospel and it was awesome.
·         How did someone help me?
I think I have said enough already but it was all the Bouten’s.

Saturday 
·         How did I help others?
Today we played basketball with Jeff, Virginia’s son. He is a less active. She is a non-member. Anyway, we had a great time playing 21. After we had a great lesson with him and I feel like it really uplifted him. He broke down in tears and opened up a lot. He loves his family and wants them back. He has a ways to go but he will get there. We also taught Jamarius and Jarvis. We taught them yesterday too. That was really good! They are great kids!
·         What did I learn?
I learned that Christ is so merciful that he even gave evil spirits their wish when they asked to be cast into swine.
·         How did someone help me?
We couldn’t find anyone from our branch to come with us tonight because they all had stuff going on. Brother Nickel picked us up at our place and brought us to our appointment. He is in the Thomasville Ward! Great guy! We then taught Sister Corely (less active) a great lesson and she made us a great dinner.

Sunday 
·         How did I help others today?
Tracted near the church a bit. Hopefully we touched someone that we talked to. Had a little message at Sister Newman’s and her less active son was there. Watched a good video and talked about living up to our potential.
·         What did I learn?
Being in this area and see Jarvis (11) and Jamarius (10) and how well they understand the gospel has amazed me. They aren’t even members yet! But what I have learned is that God truly is preparing the next generation and they are better than even my generation that was just 10 years after me. Pretty cool to see!
·         How did someone help me?
Jayne’s family fed us and it was good. They are a solid family! Then their son Killian came out with us. So it was really good! He is a good kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment