Monday, August 25, 2014

Sunday, 8/17/14 - Sunday, 8/24/14

Sunday 
·         How did I help others today?
Today we had a great lesson with Eric Hetzel. He is less-active but we were able to answer some of his questions and he said he would read from the Book of Mormon each day. That was the best lesson we had.
·         What did I learn?
Today I learned that Brother Vasquez is the bomb. He told us about a time that he was talking to a guy and said something about thanking God. The guy he was talking with said, “I thank Budda”. He then replied with, “I’d punch your Buddha in the belly.” Cracked me up!
·         How did someone help me?
Had dinner with the Schloemer’s. They made some Korean food for us and it was so good! Tony was also there. He is the Hubbard’s grandson. Him and the Schloemer (Slaymer) kids, Kenny and Jessica, go to ROTC and get yoked after school each day. It’s actually just the prep for P.T. not the actual ROTC. Anyway what really helped me was that the Schloemer’s got here when the ward was really small. Sister Schloemer said it has grown a lot. So that gave me some extra excitement to go work!

Monday 
·         How did I help someone today?
We knocked on some doors around a referral that didn’t answer. Tried to share a message with them. Didn’t work. Tried to see some less actives who also didn’t answer.
·         What did I learn today?
Justice helps us express/use faith. Without law there would be no reason to try. So God has given us laws to help us grow in faith. Well he has to give us laws anyway but yeah! It was something I knew but a great reminder. Thanks Elder Holland.
·         How did someone help me?
Elder Bochenek got me some BK after a not so successful day. It was good!

Tuesday 
·         How did I help someone today?
Today we stopped by Sherry Gibson’s place in Grand Bay. She is a less active and her and her husband have been fixing up a neighbor’s home in preparation to sell it. We volunteered to go help after dinner with the Gignilliat’s. That was a fun dinner and it tasted good. We had some delicious pasta stuff that had crawfish and shrimp in it. It was a good time. Went back over to the Gibson’s and changed out the wall outlets in one room but we had to head out so we are planning on going by tomorrow again.
·         What did I learn?
I learned that I need to be less like Laman and Lemuel. I have just been murmuring, discouraged, lacking faith and just not being grateful. Gotta do better!
·         How did someone help me?
Had district meeting and district activity. The other missionaries in the district just help me so much. It was just a fun day and they build my faith.

Wednesday
·         How did I help others today?
Taught Kelsey again today for the last time before she moves. Lesson started off as prayer and was side tracked to everything else. It was kind of an interesting lesson. I hope Kelsey grew closer to Christ in some way. After that we helped the Gibson’s and had lunch with them. They are so cool! We got all the power outlets and light switches replaced with new ones. It was fun and I learned how to change outlets and light switches. We also taught Eric Hetzel today. We got side tracked but it was okay. I learned from him that if they (the government) would lower “malpractice insurance” for doctors that medical wouldn’t be so expensive. I also learned that I should stand or kneel always when I pray. The Bible dictionary has great prayer insights.

Thursday
·         How did I help others today?
Today was a slow day so I don’t feel like I did a whole lot. I tried to help our new companion, Elder Payne, bring his bags and bike to the car and apartment though.
·         What did I learn today?
I have learned that I am going to have to focus a lot on patience. Hopefully I find some.
·         How did someone help me?
The Blackburn’s fed us. It was great! Best family ever! Alex played the guitar for us. He played “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Crazy Train” for us. He is like 11 years old and is way good already.

Friday 
·         How did I help others today?
Saw Sister Batton today. She just needs people to talk to. It was funny though because she came out and stuck in a Navy aircraft carrier movie for us to watch. Her husband was on a carrier so she wanted to show us boats like his. So we kept trying to come up with ways to get it turned off. Finally she left the room so I got up and shut it off.
·         What did I learn?
Today we have started a new thing where we “snap” each other with a rubber band if we say anything that is inappropriate. We do it for any sort of substitute of a swear word or anything slightly vulgar. It’s really fun but I have realized that we say so much slightly inappropriate stuff. It’s usually so overlooked. That is also what has helped me and it was Elder Bochenek and Elder Payne that helped by causing me physical pain.

I also got a sick Kobe shirt from my Mom as a 24 month out gift. Fitting since he is #24.

Saturday
·         How did I help others today?
Today we went over and uplifted Brother Brown then we went to a couple places with him. We went and saw Brother Crittenden and got to know him for a minute. He is a good guy and I hope we can get him active. Then we went to see a guy named Richard. Highlight of that was Elder Bochenek just giving him a great blessing for his sad feet. He has something wrong with his feet but he still walks to work every day. Dedicated I’d say.
·         What did I learn?
I learned that “Messiah” is Aramaic and “Christ” is Greek. They both mean “anointed one”.
·         How did someone help me?
I feel as though the way Elder Bochenek went about giving Richard a blessing was very faith filled and inspiring. We should never be afraid to minister to those in need!

Sunday 
·         How did I help someone today?
Today we met a really nice guy in the Lahtinen’s neighborhood right after dinner with them. We walked with him for a bit and taught a bit and gave him a Book of Mormon. Then met a guy named Mac. He seemed a bit unsure about us but that might have been because he is blind. We taught him a bit though and then he called us to set up an appointment. Really cool!
·         What did I learn?
I learned from Brother Lahtinen that Twitter affects the stock market. He did some research on it and it’s pretty fascinating.
·         How did someone help me?
Met a guy name Paul Kinnell. Tracted into him and he said so many great things about the work we are doing. He took our number but no appointments. It was good to hear that someone likes what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment