Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday, 9/8/14 - Sunday, 9/14/14

Monday 
·         How did I help others today?
Today was P-day so it was a short day. Taught Brother Brockway a little lesson about continuing to persevere. I feel like it uplifted him a bit.
·         What did I learn?
I read Ether 4 and it talked about John’s words being fulfilled and I realized I need to read John more and learn about it.
·         How did someone help me?
The Bouten’s fed us again and this time they took us to Sister Skoggins’ to eat there. Had a great time! The Bouten’s drive us around a lot! Sister Bouten also looks like my Grandma Hurst. It’s pretty cool. Kind of weird at the same time.

Tuesday 
·         How did I help others today?
Had an exchange and I went to Thomasville with Elder Jackson. He is the missionary I replaced in Cairo. He moved because he wasn’t being treated kindly. Anyway, the highlight of our day was teaching Chip. He is very humble and teachable right now and I feel like he will get baptized someday. We were able to teach him about the Atonement. It went well! He teared up as we talked about it. He wants to change so bad.
·         What did I learn?
I learned today that new missionaries seem to be so powerful. They rely upon the spirit so much that they can be more powerful at times. Elder Jackson is in his 2nd transfer and he taught with so much power!
·         How did someone help me?
Elder Jackson helped me see that if you put your mind to something that you can do it. He has a learning disability but he wants to be here and does a great job!

Wednesday
·         How did I help others?
Today we (Elder Jackson & I) started off helping out at a thrift shop type place. I think it was some sort of “battered women” type thrift shop. Really good place. Then we traded back and cleaned up. Then back in Cairo Elder Winterton and I went to teach Virginia at the Walker’s house. Good lesson! The Walker’s are so cool!
·         What did I learn?
Sometimes you just need to relax and take a step back to see the view instead of just going at light speed.
·         How did someone help me?
Brother Walker is awesome and is taking my suits to get them dry cleaned. I asked if anyone knew a good dry cleaning place. That was on Sunday when I asked and he said he would do it.

Thursday 
·         How did I help others?
Taught David, Pam, Jarvis and Jamarius. Taught about callings in the Church. Also a bit about charity. They are great kids. Great family all around. We always have some good laughs with them. We also taught a great guy named Andrew Knight. We knocked on his door and taught him a bit about the Book of Mormon. We also got a random call from Brother Humphries and he took us to Hardees. We talked to him a bit about the Church. He has a referral for the missionaries in Tally. That surprised us because he is less-active.
·         What did I learn?
It is easier to be open with each other as a companionship. It makes me feel better. Even if it is something that might sting a bit for the listener. They will get over it if they really want to. I can apply that to marriage too.

Friday 
·         How did I help others?
We had a great day today! Gave Brother Brockway a blessing. He has been having some trouble with his health. Hard to see people like that. He was in pretty good spirits though. Brother Walker took us to see a young guy named Chris. He was gone but his Grandma, Mary Young, let us in and we taught the restoration. She seemed to really like it. We also tracted at night and met James Roberts. He accepted the Book of Mormon and said he would love to read it. It was cool to act on the prompting to go talk to him. My companion, Elder Winterton, thought it would be too awkward because he wasn’t out of his car yet. I felt we needed to talk to him though. We also met a lady named Renae. I asked her how it was spelled and she spelled it and then told me, “It’s different than everybody else.” That’s what my Mom always says too! I told her that is how my Mom spells it. We are hoping to do some service for her.
·         What did I learn?
I was reminded today that when you follow prompting that success will follow. You might not get to see the success but it is there. Because if you follow God’s promptings whatever happens is what he intended.
·         How did someone help me?
Grandma and Grandpa Bouton took us out to eat after coordination at Pizza Hut. Brother Walker got us DQ after.

Saturday
·         How did I help others?
We did some service for Brother Doug Taylor today. It was great! I hadn’t done that type of dirty yard work type of service for a long time. We also went over to see Jarvis and Jamarius. Threw the pigskin for a bit with Jarvis. Jam threw it a few times too. He was mostly with Elder Winterton during that time on the porch. We also shared a good quick lesson with them.
·         What did I learn?
Sometimes it doesn’t matter how kind you try to be toward people. Sometimes they will just dislike you and be rude no matter what.
·         How did someone help me?
Brother Taylor took us to lunch at DQ. That was nice of him. He and his wife are great people. The Jaynes’ later picked us up and we had dinner over at their place. That was good! They are nice people.

Sunday 
·         How did I help others?
Tracted a ton today. I had the best tracting day I have ever had. We taught a ton of people and I played a quick game of the basketball game where you have 2 hoops next to each other like at an arcade. I tied the guy and that really surprised everyone. They didn’t expect a white guy to place like that. We taught 7 new investigators today and most of them were all the same street. Taught Angel, Rod, Tan, Jamei and Leon and also Julisa Shorter 10-20 minute lessons. Then to finish it off the last one was Erica and she let us in and we had an hour lesson. Sadly her husband didn’t come listen but she enjoyed it. It was an awesome day. Tracting does work!
·         What did I learn?
I gave a talk in church and ended up changing my whole talk at the last minute. Even though I had prepared for something else I found out the Spirit is stronger if you follow the Spirit. He knows what everyone needs to hear.
·         How did someone help me?
Brother Bouten drove us around to see some media referrals. Sister Bouten fixed a great steak lunch. It was so good! No luck with the referrals though.

No comments:

Post a Comment